Monday 30 May 2011

Nelson

I got the public bus from Kaikora to Nelson today, it took about 3 hours to drive. We went through Nelson on the Stray bus, it was just before Abel Tasman National Park, where I first did hang gliding. When we drove through I was very tired and it was raining and I really didn't like the look of it. But actually, now that I am here and a lot more awake, with good weather, I think its a really nice town. Its small, with the Cook Straight and Marlborough Sounds on one side and hills on the other. Its very artistic here, there used to be th wearable art fashion show before it got to big and moved to Wellington, but they have a World of Wearable Art Museum. I Walked up a hill, very tough walk (for me, I'm very unfit) to the lookout from where you can see all of Nelson, and over the sounds to Abel Tasman. Unlike Milford Sound and the other sounds in Fiordland, the Marlborough sounds are actually sounds, not fiords. I think fiords are carved out by glaciers and sounds are caused by rising sea levels, but they look the same. Anyway the top of this lookout is the very centre of New Zealand, so I've been to the very top (Cape Rienga) and the very bottom (Stewart Island) and now the very centre. Thats sort of cool I guess. I have a wwoofing place sorted out for tomorrow in the middle of now where so we'll see how that one goes! I get picked up from here.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear about this job, I hope everything goes well! Another new experience!

    ReplyDelete